Hemophilia is an inherited bleeding disorder that causes the blood not to clot properly. This condition can cause spontaneous bleeding or complications from surgeries and injuries. Typically, your blood contains proteins known as clotting factors which help your body stop bleeding. Those with hemophilia typically have low levels of factor VIII (8) or factor IX (9), which causes the bleeding disorder. The severity and types of hemophilia are connected to the amount of factor in the blood.

Types of Hemophilia

There are three main types of hemophilia, including Hemophilia A, B, and C. There are other types of bleeding disorders such as Von Willebrand disease and platelet disorders (we will review those in another blog).

Hemophilia A

Hemophilia A is caused by the lack of blood clotting factor VIII. This type of hemophilia is also referred to as Classical Hemophilia.

Hemophilia B

Hemophilia B is caused by a deficiency in factor IX.  This type of hemophilia is also referred to as the Christmas disease (named after the patient first diagnosed with Hemophilia B).

Hemophilia C

Hemophilia C is used to refer to a lack of clotting factor XI.

What Are the Signs of Hemophilia?

Approximately 70% of patients born with hemophilia have prior family history of the disorder.  The other 30% have a spontaneous gene mutation in either the mother or the baby.  If you do have prior family history, it’s important to have your baby tested.  Your doctor and/or hematologist can help you figure out the best time and way to do so.

The following symptoms can be common for those with hemophilia, but this is not an extensive list. If you think you might have hemophilia, contact your doctor for testing.

Infant Symptoms

  • Excessive or prolonged bleeding after circumcision or heel prick.
  • Bruising on ribs from being picked up
  • Swollen knees from crawling
  • Favoring or limiting the use of a limb due to pain and bleeding
  • Bruising around the mouth from nursing or bottle-feeding

Other Symptoms

  • Bleeding in the joints that cause swelling and pain or tightness, typically in the knees, elbows, and ankles.
  • Bleeding in the gums or mouth that is hard to stop
  • Prolonged bleeding after shots or vaccinations
  • Excessive bleeding from cuts, injuries, or after surgeries
  • Large and deep bruising
  • Blood in urine or stool
  • Nose bleeds with no apparent causes

If you have one or more of these symptoms, it’s important to contact your medical provider for testing. The sooner you can get diagnosed, the faster you can begin treatment.

How Does Mylyfe Support Those With Hemophilia?

Our biggest mission is to improve our patient’s quality of life. Our founder, Mark Zatyrka, lives with severe hemophilia and has dedicated his life and Mylyfe to looking out for those with similar conditions. Mylyfe is a specialty pharmacy that provides unique services for patients with chronic or complicated conditions like hemophilia. We offer patient concierge, medications, health insurance support, and help to break down your data.

Hemophilia can initially be complicated and a little scary, but we are here to help you feel confident in your treatment and live a happier, healthier life. Our founder’s deep-rooted passion and understanding for those living with this condition has helped us build a strong foundation for our patients. That passion drives us to offer supportive, innovative, and compassionate specialty pharmacy services. If you have any questions or want to learn more about how Mylyfe fits into your hemophilia journey, feel free to contact us today. We would love to connect and offer resources and answers to any questions you might have.

Personalized Care,
Professional Excellence

Improving Your Quality of Life Is Our Mission

(844) 469-5933

(844) 469-5933

Stay Connected

Join our newsletter and be the first to know about special events, community updates, and more!


You have Successfully Subscribed!